Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dessert Fit for a King

This weekend hubby was asked to provide dessert for 40 people.  This is what we chose - a recipe from my little sis.  Even though it isn't the most colorful presentation, it makes up for it in flavor.  They are so DELICIOUS!  English Toffee Torte - of course!

There is a double layer of meringue, with whipped cream mixed with crushed English toffee layered in between the meringue.  This is a great make ahead dessert, because it needs to sit at least 12 hours - to allow the meringue to soften and mesh with the cream.  It is pure heaven.

English Toffe Torte


Meringue:
6 egg whites
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cream of tartar
dash salt


Mix until soft peaks form, then gradually add 2 c. sugar.
On brown paper bag or brown craft paper, draw two dinner plate size circles.  Spread the mixture in circles and put in 275 degree oven for 60 minutes.  Then let sit in oven, unopened, for 2 hours.


Filling:
2 c. cream
1 t. vanilla
6 Heath bars crushed - or other english toffee pieces


Whip cream and vanilla til soft peaks form.  Fold in candy pieces.


To assemble, place one meringue disk on serving dish.  Spread half of the cream, then other disk and rest of the cream.  Refridgerate about 8 - 12 hours.  (I've even done this 2 days before).  Just cover with plastic wrap so the cream doesn't get weird.


Invite me over so I can make sure you did it correctly!
Pin It! Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/add-a-pin-it-button-to-your-posts.html#ixzz1zm6NAV00

6 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Dang...THAT looks really good! And what a cute famdambly you have! Thanks for popping into my corner of the blog world, too!

Lois Christensen said...

I would love a treat like this! Come on over and help! Enjoy your Monday!

Cranberry Morning said...

Doesn't that look delicious! Save one for me, please. :-)

Preethi said...

Just have to say that I love Heath bars, and these look amazing!

preethi
lace, etc.

Chatty Crone said...

I wish I could invite you over - those look delish! sandie

Anonymous said...

I love Skor toffee candy bars. I know I would love this recipe! I greatly enjoy your blog also - hope you have a nice evening.